Current:Home > MarketsTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Kenan Thompson calls for 'accountability' after 'Quiet on Set' doc: 'Investigate more' -AssetLink
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Kenan Thompson calls for 'accountability' after 'Quiet on Set' doc: 'Investigate more'
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 20:14:53
Kenan Thompson is TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Centerbreaking his silence on the Nickelodeon allegations levied in "Quiet on Set."
The former "Kenan & Kel" star, 45, spoke Wednesday on "Tamron Hall" about the Investigation Discovery documentary series, which detailed alleged inappropriate conduct that occurred behind the scenes of Nickelodeon. Thompson, who got his start as a child actor on the network, did not participate in the documentary.
"It's a tough subject," the comedian said. "It's tough for me because I can't really speak on things that I never witnessed, because all these things happened after I left, basically."
"Quiet on Set" covers allegations against producer Dan Schneider, who is accused of creating a toxic work environment on his Nickelodeon shows and engaging in inappropriate behavior, such as by asking female employees for massages on set. Many interview subjects also argued that jokes written by Schneider had sexual implications and were not suitable for shows starring minors.
Schneider served as a producer on "All That," where Thompson got his start in television, as well as "Kenan & Kel," which starred Thompson and Kel Mitchell. Schneider also co-wrote the Nickelodeon movie "Good Burger," which was based on an "All That" sketch, and starred as the boss of Thompson's character.
Who is Drake Bell?What to know about the former Nickelodeon star's career and allegations
Thompson said that his and Schneider's worlds weren't necessarily "overly overlapping" much while he was at Nickelodeon, though, and that he wasn't aware of much of the "negativity" covered in the documentary.
But he added, "My heart goes out to anybody that's been victimized or their families." He also said it's a "good thing" that the documentary is "putting things on display that need to be, stories that need to be told for accountability's sake," even though it's "tough to watch."
"I have fond memories of that place," Thompson explained. "I have fond memories of my co-stars and stuff like that, so to hear that they've gone through terrible things like that, it's really tough."
In a statement shared with USA TODAY, a spokesperson for Schneider said that "everything that happened on the shows Dan ran was carefully scrutinized by dozens of involved adults, and approved by the network," adding, "Had there been any scenes or outfits that were inappropriate in any way, they would have been flagged and blocked by this multilayered scrutiny."
Who is Dan Schneider?The Nickelodeon 'golden boy' accused of abusive behavior in new doc
In a YouTube video posted after the documentary aired, though, Schneider acknowledged he "definitely at times didn't give people the best of me" and apologized for being "just straight up rude and obnoxious."
In "Quiet on Set," "Drake & Josh" star Drake Bell also alleged that former Nickelodeon dialogue coach Brian Peck sexually assaulted him, and a mother alleged that a production assistant, Jason Handy, sent her daughter a photograph of himself masturbating.
Nickelodeon previously said in a statement to USA TODAY, "Though we cannot corroborate or negate allegations of behaviors from productions decades ago, Nickelodeon as a matter of policy investigates all formal complaints as part of our commitment to fostering a safe and professional workplace environment free of harassment or other kinds of inappropriate conduct."
But Thompson called for further action to be taken in response to the documentary, saying, "Investigate more! It's supposed to be a safe space. It's supposed to be a safe place for kids. To hear all about that is just like, 'How dare you?'"
After his stint on Nickelodeon, Thompson went on to join "Saturday Night Live," where he is now the show's longest-serving cast member. Last year, he reunited with Mitchell on "Good Burger 2," which was produced by Nickelodeon Movies. Schneider did not return for the sequel after Nickelodeon cut ties with him in 2018.
Contributing: Naledi Ushe, USA TODAY
veryGood! (883)
Related
- How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
- NASCAR Talladega playoff race 2023: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for YellaWood 500
- AL West title, playoff seeds, saying goodbye: What to watch on MLB's final day of season
- 90 Day Fiancé's Shaeeda Sween Shares Why She Decided to Share Her Miscarriage Story
- Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
- The Supreme Court’s new term starts Monday. Here’s what you need to know
- The UK defense secretary suggests British training of Ukrainian soldiers could move into Ukraine
- 4 in stolen car flee attempted traffic stop, die in fiery Maryland crash, police say
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Jrue Holiday being traded to Boston, AP source says, as Portland continues making moves
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Women’s voices and votes loom large as pope opens Vatican meeting on church’s future
- A California professor's pronoun policy went viral. A bomb threat followed.
- Taylor Swift at MetLife Stadium to watch Travis Kelce’s Chiefs take on the Jets
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Germany police launch probe as video appears to show Oktoberfest celebrants giving Nazi Heil Hitler salute
- Polish opposition leader Donald Tusk seeks to boost his election chances with a rally in Warsaw
- Women’s voices and votes loom large as pope opens Vatican meeting on church’s future
Recommendation
US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
The Dolphins are the NFL's hottest team. The Bills might actually have an answer for them.
Sen. Dianne Feinstein, pioneering LGBTQ ally, celebrated and mourned in San Francisco
5 dead after truck carrying ammonia overturns
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Armenia grapples with multiple challenges after the fall of Nagorno-Karabakh
How to make a Contact Poster in iOS 17: Enable the new feature with these simple steps.
It's not just FTX's Sam Bankman-Fried. His parents also face legal trouble